Top 10 Ways to Get Rid of Cellulite
Cellulite is a fact of life for the majority of women. It is ironic that whilst this condition is caused by fat cells forcing their way through weak connective tissue the appearance of cellulite is actually often worse on thin people.
Because cellulite is caused by a weakening of the connective tissue that holds the fat cells in place underneath the skin, it is a condition that worsens with age as the general strength of tissue and elasticity of skin all deteriorate with age.
There is one frightening statistic that also explains why the problem of cellulite worsens with age – it is alleged that women lose the equivalent of 5lbs in muscle every decade of their life and that this loss of muscle is replaced by 15lbs of fat. Ughh!
Muscle of course is firm and self supporting and does not put stress on the connective tissues underlying the skin. Fat on the other hand is soft and flabby and will expand into and exploit every weakness of the connective tissue putting additional stresses and strains on this ‘container’.
So what can be done to get rid of cellulite? Here are the top 10 tips on how to get rid of cellulite:
1) Diet if necessary to achieve an ideal weight for your height. Get rid of the excess fat before it has a chance to cause additional, often irreparable damage to connective tissues.
2) Eliminate processed and fatty foods from your diet. Taking this action alone will probably see your weight return to normal. Remove any products containing refined flour or sugar and hydrogenated fats. These substances are all alien to your body and as they cannot be properly digested and utilised, they end up being stored as fat.
3) Our body is made up primarily of water and the supply needs to be replenished everyday to avoid dehydration. When the body is desperate for fluid it will scavenge from available supplies and once fat has the water remove it becomes even harder to shift. Drink at least 8 glasses of the freshest, purest water you can obtain, every day.
4) Avoid any substance that causes dehydration. This includes alcohol and caffeine. For every cup of coffee of unit of alcohol you drink you must drink an additional 2 glasses of water just to negate the dehydrating effects.
5) Whilst healthy fats are essential for the proper functioning of the body, it makes sense to limit their intake to healthy levels. Completely eliminate processed fats from the diet and include only those fats and oils that are natural and unrefined. Use these fats in moderation.
6) It is important for general good health to keep the colon clear and clean. For this reason, it is advisable to ensure you take in enough fibre every day to keep waste products moving through your colon and encourage elimination of toxins from the gut.
7) It probably goes without saying that smoking is only going to make any health condition worse. Cells need oxygen to function and smokers have impaired or reduced oxygen levels within their bodies. It will be impossible to get rid of cellulite, no matter what pills, potions and techniques you try, if you continue to smoke.
8) Only take medications that are essential for health. Do not stop taking any prescription drugs without the approval of your doctor but do discuss with him or her whether the drugs you are taking are necessary.
9) Exercise – every day in some form or another is the best way I know how to get rid of cellulite, especially weight training.
10) Apply cellulite creams, essential oils or simply treat yourself to a daily massage.